The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) require employers to control the risks to safety from substances that have the potential to create an explosive atmosphere or cause an explosion type event.
Dangerous substances can be found in nearly all workplaces and include petrol, paints, varnishes, flammable gases, such as liquid petroleum gas (LPG), combustible and explosive dusts and pressurised gases.
• Identify dangerous substances in their workplace and their risks, i.e. undertake DSEAR based risk assessments.
• Implement control measures to either remove those risks or, where this is not possible, ensure they are controlled
• Implement measures to reduce the effects of any incidents involving dangerous substances
• Prepare plans and procedures to deal with accidents, incidents and emergencies involving dangerous substances
• Ensure employees are properly informed about and trained to control or deal with the risks from the dangerous substances
• Identify and classify areas of the workplace where explosive atmospheres may occur and avoid ignition sources (e.g. from unprotected equipment) in those areas.
How we can help
Our specialist consultants will conduct comprehensive DSEAR based Risk Assessments, and if required undertake a Hazardous Area classification exercise for your organisation to help you achieve and maintain DSEAR compliance.
We will work with your team to help you meet the relevant legislation for your industry and reduce the risk of serious injury.
- Our experienced consultants will support you through this complex legislation.
- We don’t only ensure you satisfy the legal requirements, but we also provide a pragmatic approach to achieving compliance.
- Our reports provide clear prioritised recommendations on the actions that need to be taken to ensure the safety of employees and others who may be on the premises, limit risks to the premises and achieve compliance with the DSEAR Regulations.
Other Specialised Risk Management Services
The services we provide include:
• Process Hazard Reviews / HAZOP
• COMAH Compliance
• DSEAR Training
• HAZOP Training